28 June 2006

Eye Candy---Acts 8:9-25

As I was reading during my quiet time, the Lord brought to my attention something that I have looked past several times. I was reading about Simon the Sorcerer in Acts 8 and came across something that I see in churches in today's world.

Simon was a sorcerer who was a self-proclaimed "great." He dazzled people with his magic and great words---eye candy so to speak. He caught the attention of people and that was it. We (jonathan & i) have been searching for a home church for quite sometime and the one thing that frustrates us the most is churches whose primary focus is to dazzle the eye and serve the attention span of the congregation.

The passage goes on to say that Philip came and preached the Word of God in its purest form--no "manmade dazzle." Those that listened believed---simple as that. Philip was committed to preaching the Word and preaching it well. We desperately crave a church that is committed just as Philip. We often miss the simplicity of church and fellowshipping with believers.

No comments: